Thursday 15 August 2013

Per Yngve Ohlin. May you rest in peace.

Per Ohlin, better known as Dead of Mayhem, killed himself in 1991.




I've always taken a strong liking to him. I'm not quite sure why... I've read a lot about him, with one site even describing him as "introverted, shy, very calm, depressive, melancholic and even schizophrenic". I guess I see a bit of myself in him, but there's something about him that is so magnetic for me that I can't quite put my finger on. I would have done anything to spend time with him, regardless of the fact that he's apparently very hard to get close to.

and he's attractive. Hehe.

Dead used to be the lead vocalist for death metal band Morbid, but left the band because he felt like the musical concepts were not what he wanted. He then joined Mayhem, where he shared an old house with Euronymous and Hellhammer. The same house he shot himself in. The band changed a lot since Per joined, as the band's sound changed along with the lyrics.
From what I understand, Per was fascinated by death, the afterlife and darkness. He always saw himself as a dead man, hence his nickname.
He was considered quite strange to most people. It was said that he used to bury clothing in the ground and leave it for a long time, then wear the rotting and torn clothing during their concerts.


On the 8th of April, 1991, Dead first attempted to kill himself by means of cutting his wrists with a kitchen knife. However, he felt it was taking too long to bleed out so he used the shotgun belonging to Euronymous to shoot himself, leaving a suicide note saying:

"Excuse all the blood"

Pictures of the scene were taken by fellow band member, Euronymous(who even encouraged Per to kill himself), and the pictures were sent to Warmaster Records to be put on their next album.




Rest in peace Per. Rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment